Thursday 7 September 2023

To do list 2023/24.

 

Well, let's not talk about last year shall we?

I may have been a bit "ambitious" in my goals for the year, and managed to accomplish three* of them?

Let's wind our neck in a bit for this year ahead and look at something a bit more manageable.

Tyranids:
So I picked up a couple of the Tyranid halves of Leviathan, right before I was admitted to hospital, and obviously haven't been able to do anything with them until now:
Winged Prime.
20 Neurogaunts.
40 Termagants.
10 Barbgaunts.
6 Von Ryan's Leapers.
Neurotyrant.
2 Screamer-Killers**.
2 Psychophages.
There are things I would like to add to this, but we'll get this lot out of the way first.

Weird World War 2:
As documented in my last post, this project is a collaboration with my friends, and a push to do something other than GW.
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
20 British Riflemen.
5 British Anti-Tank Rifles.
5 British Snipers.
5 Automated Mech Troopers.
Churchill Tank.
This will be one of the first projects to get done, as we established a timeline for the project and will be working to encourage each other to get stuff done in regards to it.

Warmachine Llael company:
So, I've been buying up Warmachine miniatures for a while, as noted in my hobby Spending posts, and have enough for a Xenos Rampant force***.
Ashlynn d'Elyse.
Gun Mage Captain.
20 Gun Mage Adepts.
8(10) Long Gunners.
5 Gun Mage Cavalry.
2 Light Warjacks.
A compact force, but once I've decided on a paint scheme for them, I should be able to get through quite quickly...famous last words.
Again, this is a project to get away from just GW...

Dreadtober:
With the yearly challenge coming up, I need to decide what I'm going to enter:
World Eaters Legion Dreadnaughts.

Monster March:
When this rolls around again, I'll definitely be taking part, like Dreadtober.
Again I have options:
Neferata on Zombie Dragon (conversion).
Wood Elf Forest Dragon (conversion).
Wood Elf Treeman.
Something Tyranid related.
Lizardmen Bastiladon.

Terrain:
Terrain has often been my weakness and something which I really need to sort, mainly so that I can playing some damn games.
I have a few MDF kits, but nothing themed to my projects, so I may look at a few things for the next entry on my list.

Road to Glory/Piscina IV campaign:
Speaking of playing games, I have always intended to play out a campaign at some point.
I have my Deathwatch force which has grown reasonably and my Imperial Guard forces.
Opposing then I have my Orks, and once done the new Tyranids.
The choice is the linear Road to Glory from the 5th edition Rulebook, or the branching Piscina IV campaign from White Dwarf 215, both have been intriguing since they were published.
Regardless, both would be playing using the 5th edition rules, with newer models like the Tyranids being backdated using my own unit entries based off what stuff does in 10th****.

Look after myself, first and foremost:
If there is one thing which I have been brought up sharply on recently, it is to look after myself and not ignore warning signs from my body. My recent illness which floored me and had me end up in hospital could have been much much worse, if my Mrs hadn't been on hand when she was.
I thought I was just tired after having a few weeks off work due to annual leave, so dismissed feeling off as just being tired and needing to get back into the swing of things.
Painting late into night wasn't helping either to be honest.
So I'm going to take the decision to try to take better care of myself, proper sleep, etc...and to actually make the effort to visit the local gaming club, if I can make it outside of work, in order to partake in the hobby more socially...

We'll see how that works out.


So that's the idea for this next year, the only big recurring project is the campaign idea, and maybe the terrain, but I'm not saying what terrain to work on.
I think one of the problems last year, aside from work (until the work slowed down and we're sending two steel trains a day out, two coal trains a day and four iron ore trains, which is very quiet for our yard!), was that everything was GW related, and as much as I love their settings...

It can get a little stale playing in the same sandbox forever.

Variety is the Spice of Life after all.

So with that laid out, I'll start working on these projects as I recover from my recent illness and have time to sit at the hobby desk.

Until next time, have nice day...




*Alright, two and a half, as I never finished the Escher gang to fully finish the Necromunda project.

**Possible Dreadtober projects as that's coming up next month!

***My preferred rules for smaller games, Warmachine is a good game, but I find it too clunky with special rules and exceptions.
Also XR is easier to play solo...

****As a "closed group" I can do this and not worry about being balanced or fair...if it seems right, it probably is.

1 comment:

  1. A very cool list to work on! I also quite often have difficulties finishing the goals I set myself since I get distracted so much. All part of the process, I guess. If, at the end, you're happy with what you do, it's all good in my book.

    Very much looking forward to see your community projects!

    ReplyDelete