Saturday 2 September 2023

A Weird War* - A Xenos Rampant project - part 1.

 

I've alluded to making a Xenos Rampant force for a few months after picking up the rulebook early in the summer.

Being a big fan of Dragon Rampant (and with plans to pick up Lion Rampant) I had to grab Xenos Rampant when it was released.


In truth I'd already been tinkering for a while, with the Fan made PDF by Richard Cowen after downloading it from the Dragon Rampant Facebook group.
When he announced that he was working with Dan Mersey to turn it into a fully fledged, produced book, turned out by Osprey, well, to say that I was optimistic about it was an understatement.

Fast forward to the early summer and it turns out that a fair few of my friends have bought the book and have had a read but not done anything particular with it yet.


I messaged a few people whom I thought would be up for an army building challenge and laid down the gauntlet.

Beginning in October, running through November and December, the challenge:
  • Build and paint a 40 point force for Xenos Rampant.
  • The force MUST include at least one vehicle, which can only be built and painted as a "November Special Challenge".
  • The force must fit to the theatre/time period the group decides.
And that's really it, we can purchase and pre build some stuff in September, but painting cannot begin until October.
The vehicle(s) cannot be started until November.
And then December is a chance to finish up whatever is left to hit the completed force.

Chris and Cardboard Fortress answered the challenge, so we dove into deciding which theme we wanted to use.
I drafted a few suggestions and let them decide which direction they wanted to take:
  • Weird World War 2 (Konflikt '47), and pick a theater ETO or North Africa (replace the German folklore with desert folklore?).
  • Command and Conquer, Red Alert 2** (Soviets Vs Allies, post WW2 tanks and infantry, with super science, mutants and psychics).
  • Command and Conquer,Tiberium Sun (GDI Vs NOD around 2020 and near future with mecha and stuff).
  • Star Wars (using Legion gear), might be a bit of a longshot as I don't think any of us play this already.
  • 40k, the obvious classic, but an excuse for us all to make a small starter force/skirmish platoon, themed around a battle we make.
So, whilst we all have piles of GW gear, and we're all fans of Star Wars (but not the price tag), we decided to go for Weird World War 2.


Nazi zombies, super soldiers, werewolves, strange experimental vehicles, proper pulp-style adventures and villains...what's not to like?


The Konflikt'47 setting by Warlord Games is a favourite, but Xenos Rampant offers us much wiggle room to carve out our own alternate, sci-fi World War 2 history and work from there.


For what has been discussed so far, I believe that Cardboard Fortress will be doing something Finnish related, whilst Chris will be tackling the dastardly Nazi's.

As for my own project, I will be being patriotic and field the British.
Specifically a platoon seconded to the 'Office of Secret Endeavours', a paranormal commando office of my own devising.


This is taken from Battlescribe and gives the general gist of the force.

The first Heavy Infantry unit will be the "character/command" unit and will be based upon one of my favourite comics:
I have plans for various conversions for the characters!
Captain Quartermain, Vampires Mina Harker, the Cyborg-Corporal H.Y.D.E. (High-Yield Destructive Engine), Dr. Griffin - The Invisible Man and lastly Captain Rajesh Nemo, Son of Captain Nemo and captain of the HMS Nautilus.

I've already bought the model for Mina, from the 02-Hundred Hours range, and I'll be picking up H.Y.D.E. from the Secrets of the Third Reich range. I've found a suitable mini for Griffin, who needs no conversion, which just leaves the two Captain's to convert up.

The second Heavy Infantry unit, is a squad of Autonomous Robot Infantry from K'47:
I really like these models, and the story of Alan Turing making them adds to the period flavour.

The two Light Infantry Squads and the main force:
Two ten man units of Tommies, hardens to fight against whatever the Nazi's can throw at them, I haven't made them anything special like SAS or Para's as I wanted to normal infantry to contrast the "Weird Shit".

Support wise, a 5 man Sniper Unit:
Because Snipers are cool, especially these models.

And an Anti-Tank unit:
I am undecided whether to use a couple of 6 Pounder Gun Teams (with two crew per base and separate Sergeant model) or a group of 5 guys with PIAT's***.

Or even, stepping away from the Warlord Games:
West Wind Productions have a range called Secrets of the Third Reich, and they do these wonderfully characterful Anti-Mech/Tank rifles as part of their British range****


Lastly my vehicle for November:
I already have a Churchill sitting new in box, which I'd bought cheaply and never got round to doing anything with*****.
I'm hoping it has the AVRE "flying dustbin" mortar in the box, but not sure.
I'm not sure whether to Weird the tank up or even how, or to leave it as stock?

So, I'll post an update later on in the month as I gather details from Cardboard Fortress and Chris about their respective plans.

Until next time, have nice day...



*A personal favourite pulp style setting.

**Red Alert 2 is a personal favourite video game, and one which I think XR would handle really well, I may plan this for a future solo project.
(Seriously look at the cutscenes on YouTube for some great acting 😉, the soundtrack is *chef's kiss* like all the C&C soundtracks actually).

***As awful and cheaply made as the PIAT was, there are stories of men doing heroic deeds with the weapon.

****If I was doing soviets, I would definitely add these charming ladies to the force:

*****I would say I planned it as such, but I'd be lying.

No comments:

Post a Comment