Thursday 21 May 2020

Workbench Wednesday


Well, I figured I kick life back into this blog.
It's only been a month since my last post but what a month, with. The pandemic, lockdown and Covid-19 going on.

You'd have thought I would have had more time to get hobby done, given that I have been furloughed from work for the past three weeks now. But instead I have been busier then ever, finally having the time to get jobs done around the house and garden that I never had time for.

Fortunately that does not mean that hobby has been completely forgotten.
I've made progress on the ruined municipal building and gotten the front of the build up to snuff:
It is currently drying after a layer of PVA, Grey paint, water and a couple of drops of washing up liquid have been applied to seal on the exposed sand at the front ready for painting proper.

Some other projects which have been picked up and breathed new life into include my dragon:
This started as a Black Dragon from GW and it's supposed to have a Dark Elf riding on its back.
But I wanted an actual dragon, and after finding a tutorial of how to paint a WizKids red dragon for D&D on YouTube, I decided to give it a go and try some new techniques.
I'm about half way, the wings need another couple of layers of stippling and washing.
The skin needs a wash of Crimson to bring out the texture, and the spines need to be worked from brown up to black, the dark area's so far are just black washes to darken the creatures back.

I have also finished another Stormcast mod, this time a Knight-Incantor from the Soul Wars set:
She has been sitting for some time half painted, so as a start I decided she'd be an easy miniature to complete and clear off into the display cabinet. The fact that she is part of my Dragon Rampant Stormcast army helps a lot too.

Here she is next to one of the very first Stormcast I finished:
Obviously you can spot differences between the two models, for instance the Knight-Incantor has a lot more highlighting work then the Liberator. I will go back and rectify that at some point but it's not a priority tbh.
They work well enough alongside each other that at arm's length on the tabletop, it won't be noticeable.

I haven't forgotten about the Sohei from the previous challenge which I failed due to the world going wonky:
Whilst not quite finished, I've added reds, blacks and whites across the five to-finish models. A black wash over the details and then it's onto the next stage of highlighting prayer beads, adding wooden hafts to weapons and finishing the bases.

Anyway, work continues apace on projects. Hopefully I'll get the dragon completed in a couple of days and then have a battle report of Dragon Rampant to post soon.

Until next time...


 - Lewis.

No comments:

Post a Comment