Tuesday 31 October 2017

Hobby - Portable Hobby Kits


As we all know, wargaming isn't a small hobby. Yes it is portable when we want to go to the LGS and play a game with our opponents. Carry cases have been part of the hobby for a VERY long time, not quite as long as the miniatures themselves.

A good carry case is essential in this modern age of the hobby, as thanks to the Internet, we have access to more opponents and places to play then ever. That is all well and good, but what about when you want to do some painting or such whilst away from your hobby space at home?

Well, Youtube to the rescue, with Tabletop Minions host Atom Smasher, providing a video about this almost four and a half years ago now (where does time go?)

Portable Nerding Kits - Tabletop Minions

He makes some valid points, about going to someone else's house or the LGS for a hobby night rather then a gaming night. Having your gear ready to "grab and go" rather then have to search for everything off of the desk is mightily convenient.


With this in mind, I decided to make myself a portable hobby kit as I am going to be having a few days away with my son, its something I can put in the back of the car and relax with once we have been out and about all day.


I know Atom recommends the local "sporting goods" shop, but here in Yorkshire, it's easier to go to a B&M or Home Bargins type shop.
The above toolbox was bought from the local B&M shop for £3.99. Not a bad price for what it is.
Roughly 18 inches by 12 inches by 2 inches deep and with removable/reposition-able partitions, it is perfect for the use I have planned.

The orange is a little in your face inside, but that doesn't matter as this wont be seen by many people.

And what can you get inside?


All loaded up and ready to go.
  • Knife.
  • Glue.
  • Selection of Paint Brushes.
  • Selection of Files.
  • 32 Pots of Citadel Paint, including Shades with their bigger pots.
  • Miniatures I am working on, including:
    • Fyreslayer Berzerkers.
    • Black Legion Chaos Marines.
    • White Scars Tactical Marines.
    • Samurai.
    • Warrior Monks.
    • Masked Men Ashigaru. 
That's quite impressive for a £3.99 box bought on a whim.

The only this I haven't included in mine is a water pot, simply because I don't have a suitable pot to put in here yet, when I do get one, it will either live with the brushes and such, or I will sacrifice a miniatures section to put it in.

Personally I think this is a great idea for when you want to hobby, but might be away from your desk, on holiday or business trips, etc.
I am going to use mine around the house actually, so I can sit with the missus and we can watch a DVD whilst I fettle some miniatures for a while, or I can indulge in my hobby whilst the boy is playing in the front room after school. I am taking this to my mothers house where we are staying for a few nights soon, as long as I don't spill one of the shade pots over anything (an all too common occurrence according to FB groups) things should be fine and I may even get the Samurai or Warrior Monks finished off entirely!

The point is, I can still hobby wherever and whenever I wish, at home or out and about.


Until next time...


 - Lewis



No comments:

Post a Comment