Monday 22 January 2024

No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

 
The quote by Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke seems very apt for this post.  

So I started on the massive Feudal Japanese project and was plotting a few things out by placing printed miniatures on the big bases I'd bought for the project.


I was going to add a couple more Yari wielding Sohei to the front of the base, and then have multiple of these bases lined up to make BIG units.

When a friend visited the other day, discussion inevitably turned to Wargaming and Games Workshop.

He pointed out that I could very easily make a Cities of Sigmar army using the Japanese troops I already have printed, and would only need three more character models to complete a force.

However, it would mean that they would have to be individually based, rather then multi-based like the photo above, and the original plan.

DAMMIT!
Just as I had everything planned out...

So how to go about the project now then?

Initially I thought about creating drop in "sabot" type bases and scenicing the ovals around the circular bases i would be using, but this wouldn't give enough room around the edge to be sufficiently strong enough to withstand gaming.

MAGNETS would be the answer it seemed:

5mm * 1mm Rare Earth Magnets to be precise, I had a bunch of these which I recycled from an old eBay purchase, so gave it a whirl.

Fifteen minutes later and I was left with this:

Not a bad start, eleven Sohei all mounted on bases and magnetised to be removable.
This makes them more versatile in the long run which I think is better, as I can use the models for:
  • Pike and Shotte
  • Age of Sigmar
  • Dragon Rampant
  • Test of Honour
  • And many more.
Then plan moving forward is to do this to every model in both armies, so I've ordered 250 magnets and another 40 bases from eBay, and that won't get me half way through everything I've gotten printed so far, but it's a start.

The added advantage of magnetising them to their base is that they are now more secure for transport when on the multibase:

So I'll crack on and get this base of Sohei finished, in-between various Tyranids, but I also have this printed off for the fantasy Japanese force:

A Japanese Water Dragon which I am looking forward to painting, but forcing myself to leave alone until I've gotten at least the bulk of the force done, kind of like a reward deal, same with a lot of the more fantasy elements as Kyoushuneko do a set of Armoured Sumo warriors which I really want.


2 comments:

  1. Ah, the joys of magnets! Getting to use models in various systems is always a plus. I could easily see these used as alternative Haradrim in Middle-earth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'd never thought about Haradrim.
      Quickly to MyMiniFactory to find a war elephant STL!

      Delete