Saturday 28 October 2023

Dreadtober 2023 - part 3.

 

Ghrast stood at the edge of the crater looking at the second drop pod. He had already been working fifteen minutes opening up the first pod as its doors had locked slightly open due to the damage caused upon its arrival planetside.

This second drop pod had smashed through four floors and was buried beneath the rubble, as well as broken manufacturing equipment which had fallen in as well. He could hear the straining of servo's as the machine spirit kept trying to open doors which were lodged shut by debris.

"Brother Oresk, I will be sometime freeing the other drop pod, I will need covering to keep the enemies at bay whilst I work" Ghrast voxed to the already freed Dreadnaught.

The box like silhouette stamping its way through the murk simply raised its huge Powerfist in response and began a patrol.

Ghrast began smashing rubble with his Omnissian Axe and lifting chunks with his servo-arm. He estimated perhaps twenty, twenty-five minutes before be could open one of the doors.

If they had that long...

*****

Seventeen minutes exactly and the counter attack began.

Ghrast first heard it through the booming of nearby launched mortar shells exploding. Severely off the target of course, but still that meant enemies were nearby.

"Brother Oresk, do you read me?" He voxed, he'd managed to dig out most of the door, but hadn't began ministrations to get the damn thing open yet.

A bark of Storm Bolter fire echoed before Ghrast's vox link crackled into life.

A shrill scream erupted in his earpiece before being silenced and the deep baritone voice of the dreadnaught sounded.

"What is it Techmarine? I've got enemies to kill"

Despite the situation Ghrast smiled, "Understood Brother, Ghrast out".

A whirring power build drew his attention towards the stricken transport pod. It seemed it's occupant had survived the misdrop and was waking up.

"This is Techmarine Ghrast, Brother Dhekarst, are you recieving me?"

"Yes Brother, I appear to be in one piece, but unable to exit the drop pod"

"Yes, I am working on that, the machine spirit of the drop pod was offended by it's landing, it will be some time before I can open it"

"STAND ASIDE"

*****

Well, we're nearly at the end of October, which means we're also nearly at the end of Dreadtober.

Sadly, due to the extremely unsettled weather here in the UK recently, I haven't had as much time to hobby as I would have liked, due to rail lines and yards being flooded, and stricken freight trains to secure either in our yards or stable in sidings nearest to them.

I have however managed to get Brother Oresk fully finished and matching the previous World Eaters I had painted for this project:




The off white from the "Marine-Juice" wash really shows up on these larger models.

I'm pleased with how this started as a generic Assault of Black Reach dreadnaught from all those years ago, and has now been recycled and converted up into this Warmachine of the Twelfth Legion, the centre of the sarcophagus received those armour panels because of damage the dreadnaught had suffered before when someone obviously tried to grind away the winged skull which should have been there.

A lot of the symbology, like the ravening jaws are made from plasticard, with the rivets and spike being of all things, supports from 3D printed models!
I'm particularly fond of the skulls attached to the side of the Lascannon, being cut in half and filed flat before being glued to the trophy slot I built there.

If Dreadtober ends tomorrow at midnight, I'm not entirely sure when it does actually end as we normally go until the end of October, which falls on a Tuesday and then do the finished updates the following weekend. I can say that I am happy I got at least one of the Dreadnaughts finished with the second one, just needing a few highlights to be done 

Hopefully I can get Brother Dhekarst finished and have him added to the end of project update, but we'll see, back on night shifts at work which eat up a lot of my hobby time due to the altered schedule you're on, simply by working during the night and sleeping the morning away.

Until next time, have nice day...

1 comment:

  1. Lovely work! Always great to see, what you can get out of those Black Reach dreadnoughts!

    ReplyDelete