Sunday 25 February 2024

The Feudal Japanese Project - part 2.

 


Following on from the previous post, we take a look at the other units I got built a week ago.

We'll start with a base of Samurai Cavalry:
These were more in-depth to build, being separate riders, horses and Sashimono.
The problem here is that the models, whilst looking beautiful, have very small contact points to the base.
One horse is connected by one foot to the base!
So they all got drilled and pinned to the bases to try to add some strength and stability to them in the long run.
There are another two based of Cavalry to add to complete the unit fully, I may do another base of four and make the third base three models strong for variation.

The next unit is the first of several fantasy units I plan on adding.
A unit of three Sohei Oni*:
An Elder in the center, flanked by a Tetsubo wielding Oni to either side.
The two Oni are the same model printed twice, I can live with the limited amount of poses, as these models cost me around sixty pence of so to print according to Chitubox.
The Elder Oni was a must buy because I find the pose and model really nice, he has a certain charm about him I think.
Tetsubo are great heavy wooden clubs which were often studded with metal. The great strength required to wield them was often admired, and people who could wield a Tetsubo were often referred to as Oni themselves!

Next is the second base of Sohei:
I already had a base of Sohei built which I had began painting before the big build session, but I've added the second oval bases to the unit, this makes a total of twenty-one Naginata armed Sohei, they'll be joined by another ten or eleven on a third base eventually**.
The Warrior Monks are one of my favourite parts of Japanese history, as unlike western monks, the Sohei Buddhists were not peaceful men and had a hand in politics and warfare for almost five hundred years or so, until Oda Nobunaga broke their power in the late 1500s.

Lastly we have a selection of character models I printed out, the first three are commander types:
The two on the left with the spear and axe*** are Hatamoto from Kyoushuneko.
The third is a Samurai from the Katana armed pack, but without a helmet.
Hatamoto were the highest rank of Samurai before one could become a lord and own land. They were often picked to be bodyguards for lord's due to their prowess and loyalty (but even that could be bought).
The Samurai here I am going to use as a Hatamoto, but the three models will form part of a unit for an Age of Sigmar army I have enough models for.

This is a Horse Messenger:
These riders delivered orders between the different clans who had arrived to fight for their liege-lord, the Daimyo, and were very high ranked in the army.
The large thing on his back is called a 'Horo', it was a canvas covered bamboo frame which would inflate as the rider galloped along, not only showing his rank and which army he fought for, but the theory was also that it would deflect arrows shot at him as well.
Whether that is true or not I don't know, I don't believe anyone has tested it in the modern age to prove it.

Adding to the fantasy section we have a Yamabushi Mountain Monk and a Nine Tailed Fox:
The Yamabushi were another section of monks of the period, but often wandered rather then being tied to a shrine or monastery.
The Nine Tailed Fox is the first miniature which is not a Kyoushuneko STL, but is still really nice.
It started as a 75mm display print which I scaled down to 32mm to match the army.
Kitsune, Fox Spirits, were a major part of Japanese folklore and would often be tricksters and helpers at times, I'll go more into that when I get round to doing a showcase of this miniature when it's painted.

Well, that's everything built so far, this project is going to take quite a while to complete due to the sheer size I want to make it.
We're talking three or four divisions per army and I have to build two armies as I don't know anyone else with any interest in the period itself.

I'm going to work up to finishing off a well rounded force for each side first, so I can play a few games with them, but the aim eventually is to have a real masses battle look to the forces, the benefits of 3D printing is that this is actually a viable project, especially financially. The Katana Samurai unit for the last post cost approximately £3.20 to print eighteen miniatures off.

Also timewise for creating the miniatures, 3D printing is again mental to think about.
I can get up at 04.00am to get ready for work and just plug the USB stick into the printer and set it going. When I get home after a twelve hour shift, I can check the build plate and hopefully, there will be a raft of completed miniatures waiting to be washed and cured.
After some maintenance on the printer I can do the same the next day and have a couple of units ready by the end of the working week.

Now if only I could paint that fast!
Speaking of, I'm off to go and paint some of these now.


Until next time, have nice day...





*Sohei - Warrior Monks.
  Oni - Japanese Demons.
Demons aren't necessarily evil in Japanese mythology, they are associated with evil.and misfortune, but can equally be seen as omens of good fortunes, depending on your point of view.

**I keep mentioning about adding a third base to each unit.
The way that I'm going to organise the big bases for the unit is as follows:
One Base: Small Unit.
Two Bases: Standard Unit.
Three Bases: Large Unit.
This is to keep things in line with any ruleset I choose to use, but also give a nice big number of models to field.

***Sometimes called "Ono" Axes are a rare weapon in Japanese warfare, as most fighting styles of the period were two handed and were very finesse orientated, an axe on the other hand is not a subtle weapon...

No comments:

Post a Comment