Wednesday 10 May 2023

May Hobby Challenge - Kharn arrives!


With the Monthly Hobby Challenge laid down, I went scouring eBay for my miniature.

I had a couple of ideas, but when The Betrayer popped up in the search bar, I was sold.

I'd been after a classic Kharn the Betrayer miniature for a while, and this was the catalyst to pick him up, the fact that no-one else had put a bid in at all was even more of a bonus. 

With an opening bid of £5.50 and time running out, I decided to have a punt and see what happens.

The next morning there is an email, "You've Won!".

When he turned up, I grabbed a photo before work began in earnest!


That's a nice coat of Khorne Red (fittingly) on him, although those area where is has flaked off or not been applied worry me...that doesn't look like metal...


And...it wasn't, the screenshot above shows my reaction when talking to Chris about it...le sigh...


Once he was dried off after his bath in my Diall/IPA mixture I managed to use my knife to scrape a fair bit of the paint away, but couldn't get it all due to not wanting to damage the details.

Fortunately the paint wasn't applied thickly, whoever had Kharn before hadn't used an undercoat and so I could get quite a bit off.

I broke him down into component parts, accidentally broke his right leg off at the knee, and rooted through the bits box to find a few embellishments...


As Chris alluded to, he got a "Hero Base" from Cork, with a few Skulls thrown in*.
I am going to add a few other details to the base in due course to match the rest of my urban base scheme.

Let's try to get a better photo:


Black Background and a Wraithbone Primed Kharn, much better.
I added the skull and parchment from his belt to hide the damage to the rear of his kneepad, the chain and hook added to his backpack were the other end of the detail piece, from the Wrathnongers kit I believe.
His right arm and Plasma Pistol are converted from the Raptors kit, to give him an actual aiming/firing pose unlike the original which was drawn much closer to his body.
Finally I added the skull on a spike to the top of his backpack as a final detail and offering to Khorne.

I'll post again once he's finished, and to round out the project when people send me their before and after photos of their rescues.

Until then...


Have nice day...



*It is a GW thing after all, to add skulls to everything!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool looking ebay rescue! The base and the shooting arm really elevate the miniature

    ReplyDelete