Wednesday 21 September 2022

Mirfield Miniatures.

 

I first found out about Mirfield Miniatures through Benji's Hobbies on YouTube, namely this Video about cheap Warhammer.

Having given the shop a follow on Facebook and bought a few things when I've managed to snag them (the posts are understandably first comment, first served) I'd always meant to take the trip through to Mirfield and have a look round the store.

After a 45 minute drive through the scenery of the South/West Yorkshire hills, we arrived in the titular town and made our way to the shop.

Just like mentioned, it is an Aladdin's Cave of stuff.


There were current boxes of stuff outside in the main studio area as well.

The real jewels though, were in here. 
All this is admittedly second hand, ranging from new on sprue but bagged up, to built, primed, and fully painted.
All reasonably priced and aimed to sell!

With my birthday coming up, the Mrs has been asking what I wanted and I decided to have a poke around the store and see what there was...

I ended up buying these for myself:

Someone had raided the Skaven cabinet just before we got there leaving with all the Clanrats and warmachine's, but the warlord here was left by his lonesome, and I didn't have one for my growing rat army.
The Gorechosen of Dromm, I had promised myself I was going to buy after seeing the preview on Warhammer Community.
I do enjoy Underworlds, and can even see them joining the Bloodbound horde eventually.
And as for the book...well, alright I admit that Gav Thorpe isn't the greatest author and a lot of his novels read like bad fanfiction. But the book has Dark Angels Vs Ghazkhull and the other night I'd managed to find a PDF of thr old Storm of Vengeance campaign pack from 2nd edition 40k, which is the tabletop campaign of this book, so figured it'd be nice to read it.

Also it was 50 pence ...

The real bargain of the day however, was this little lot:

I literally walked through the door and looked in the second cabinet, turned to Duncan and announced loudly..."Mate, I have found, the dinosaurs!", Cut to Duncan walking away shaking his head.

A Lord on Carnosaur.
Two Bastilodons!
Thirty Slinks.
Ten Saurus Warriors.
And Seven Saurus Cavalry.

£90 cash handed over and they were boxed up for me to give a new home to (She's since put them away and "you can't have them until your birthday...).

Le sigh...

I did get a few closer photo's to discuss second hand miniatures like this:

The Carnosaur is fine from the top, a few glue marks, but underneath:
There are moulding lines and sprue gates which haven't been cleaned up properly.
I'm not complaining as for £20 this was still a fucking bargain, but it's something to be aware of when buying second hand.

This Bastilodon Skink rider has had his javelin snapped off at some point, and this poor Saurus Warrior:
...is missing his head, there are moulding lines, a few sprue gates and a few broken weapons scattered throughout the force, but...these aren't deal breakers as a few spare parts and a little time on the hobby desk will clean up the moulding lines which have been left and sort the repairs.
If I'd have noticed the spare parts needed at Mirfield, Mark the owner, would have probably found me the spares from the back room, but of well, it won't break the bank to fix and it adds to my hobby time.

I love refurbishing second hand miniature as most of my collection has been second hand, and I have an entire Horus Heresy army planed which I am collecting bits for, so I am used to the effort required after you receive them through the post.

There is also something satisfying about bringing a beaten and damaged model up to scratch and people can't generally tell.

I do recommend taking the trip to Mirfield if you can as there are some bargains to be had and I could easily have spent double what I did in the end.

Until next time, have nice day...

No comments:

Post a Comment