Monday 1 July 2019

40k - The Road to the Apocalypse, Part 2.

 

"Battle Bigger, Better" that's a strong tag line to live up to...here's hoping as it not only has encouraged me to drag my long abused greenskin horde out of the dank box they were stored in for years, but it may allow me to play out my own version of one of my favourite parts of the 40k lore:

ARMAGEDDON!

 

The 3rd War for Armageddon was really where I started to pay attention to such things as characters and what was actually happening in the universe. On one hand you had the tired, war weary but determined Commissar Yarrick facing off against the epitome of Orkdom Ghazkull Thraka.

And it's not as if this is the first time these two giant personalities had already met, having fought in the 2nd War for Armageddon, the battle for Golgotha, Yarrick being released as a prisoner because Ghazkull needed a proper enemy to fight...a real world consuming war, I loved the 2 part battle report in White Dwarf from the period (I still have both copies) and the short story by Dan Abnett "Cometh the Hour" of a colossal Imperial assault upon the Ork horde after a Rok Fortress lands from orbit.
 

Anyway, what does this have to do with my wargaming?
After all in my last post I did mention that 40k suffers from a time sink at larger games which I cannot afford, but the new Apocalypse version coming out could serve me well.



The Datasheets for Apocalypse are available to download...FOR FREE (is this actually Games Workshop we are talking about?).

Grabbing them, and having learnt how forces are organised (should that be Orkanised?) I have started to assemble my Waaagh!

Each force is organised into a series of detachments which are built around the normal detachment from 40k.
So you get Battalion, Vanguard, Spearhead, etc all as normal, but using the Apocalypse Power Levels.
Each detachment must have a Warlord to lead it (which can be ANY model in the detachment) and if they are killed, then another nominated model takes over. However Character models are very important as they allow you to keep drawing your asset cards.

With these things in mind, I drew up a first detachment of 50PL (47 if you want to be accurate) as follows:

Evil Sunz:
Warboss, Mekboy & 5 Nobz in a Trukk.

10 Slugga Boyz with Big Shoota, Nob & a Mekboy in a Trukk.
10 Slugga Boyz with Big Shoota, Nob & a Mekboy in a Trukk.
10 Burna Boyz with Big Shoota, Nob & a Mekboy in a Trukk .


Not too much to get through (so I should manage it) and its a very fast hard hitting formation whose purpose is just to swamp an area with bodies quickly, before a heavier formation moves in just behind them to keep pressure on...I hope...
They also include a fair few characters, as I anticipate heavy losses amongst them, especially as the Warboss and Nobz will be krumping from the front!

The first 10 Slugga Boyz are ready:
 

And the detachment's Warboss is converted up and ready to be painted:


 

So, WAAAGH! to you and we'll see you on the other side.



Until next time...


 - Lewis


No comments:

Post a Comment