Sunday 8 January 2023

The January 3D print challenge - 2023, part 1.

 
So, as alluded to in my end of year post for 2022, I mentioned a challenge which I was starting in January.

From the seller Print Little Things on eBay, I ordered three of this mystery 3D printed miniatures box:

Each on contained two random miniatures from their licensed ranges and the Swordswoman Ziri.
I shipped one box off to Chris and one off to Cardboard Fortress with the instructions that at least the Swordswoman HAD to be finished for the end of January, the other two models were a bonus and would be welcome, but weren't absolute in needing to be painted.

For my part, I received a Doberman and Vivi from Final Fantasy IX as my extra two miniatures. Here they are built, based and primed. I'm working over Wraithbone as a way of trying to incorporate more Contrast paints in the schemas then I normally would:

I had decided as soon as I saw the model, that Vivi there would be painted as his stock colours from the game. Whilst Final Fantasy VIII and X/X-2* were my games of choice, Vivi was always one of my favourite characters from the franchise as a whole:


So I've made a start by getting the bases hit with Karak Stone and then painted over with Skeleton Horde for some "contrast", the rocks are just Stormvermin Fur at the moment, but will be getting an Earthshade wash.
Vivi's head and eyes have been painted and his hat has had a cost of Skeleton Horde to get the main colour down, as has the rope around the Doberman's neck:

As for Ziri the Swordswoman, I initially intended to go all out with the Final Fantasy theme and went searching for suitable Swordswoman inspiration from the franchise.
After a fruitless hour, I'd found more of final fantasy characters in wedding dresses or compromising artwork then I cared for. 

I decided to widen the search to the parameter's of 'JRPG Swordswoman character art' and immediately hit paydirt.

Below are three examples which I pulled from Google as a base to start from:


All three have the sort of asthetic as the miniature I have with the high leggings/boots combo and the torso/body details like the model.
I'm leaning more towards the blue artwork out of the three, but would be open to opinions if people care to comment and let me know if the others would be better suited from the looks of things.

From what I've heard Cardboard Fortress hasn't started painting yet, but has Ziri based and primed. Chris however has had a bit of inspiration and nearly gotten her finished already!
Perhaps I should have started with her instead of Vivi...

Until next time, have nice day...

*Yes I know they aren't the best received of the franchise, but Final Fantasy VIII and X were really good stories which drew me into the game more then the others I've found.
No comments about X-2 being "pretty princess dress-up" though.

No comments:

Post a Comment