Sunday 24 July 2022

July - A Mid-Year Update.

 
*Hard at work at the forge, there are some who would accuse me of being more Ork then Human at times*

Hello, how the hell did it get to the back end of July so fast?

It seems that I was only just posting about Orks in JanuWaaaghry, and now here we are over halfway through the year.

I thought I would do a kind of 'State-of-Play' update post to keep ontop of things and see how they have been going so far during the year.

It has been a little quiet around here modelling wise recently, but with full time work, which never ends, it's been difficult to actually sit and consistently paint the past couple of months. Hopefully we'll have a reprieve soon, as we've got some new guys being trained up currently, so I may not have to cover as many shifts to dispatch these things:


Don't get me wrong, I love my job. It's the best move I've made in my life, it could just do with our yard having its compliment of staff, as we're currently at 50% for Groundstaff and having to cover shifts to keep things moving. 
The extra cash from the overtime is great, the work/life balance at the minute sucks.

Anyway, things have been progressing behind the scenes slowly here in the Mekshop.

The third 'Loremaster' post should be finished and published tomorrow, (edit- best laid plans, it wasn't published until the end of August);
*A preview of who features this time*

Alongside that I've been working on a few things when I get the odd couple of hours here and there.

The last time I visited Stockport, I brought back a full Death Korps of Krieg army to paint. This is quite the project, with the brief of;
"I want it to be World War One French, but with urban bases. Can you also paint my Mechanicum to match, but with Mechanicum colours?"

The start of this project is a Line Squad and a Platoon Command Squad, with Commander.
They are about 50% along in this photo, and have since had a wash of Earthshade, the first coats to bring back the Horizon Bleu will be going on this week I hope.

Before that though, I revisited my long abused, half painted Stormcast Eternals army and was determined to make a coherent force out of them!
The fact that Path to Glory in AoS 3.0, is quite interesting also helped to push this idea forward, I have been looking at different types of campaigns to play and will be adding to my "opposing forces" afterwards, but that's in the future for now.
So with Army Book in hand, I turned to the other half and asked her to pick a colour scheme, not really being bothered by whichever special rules were attached.
"I like those ones, they look and sound quite Gothy" she said, being on a Goth kick at the moment.
Even though they're my army not hers, I found it easier to have someone else pick the colour scheme. This were started the Anvils of the Heldenhammer project.
These three Prosecutors are complete so far, but I have a few more units which are well on their way and I'll post them all together later on.

June saw the second edition of Horus Heresy released and everyone getting interested and buying the big 'Age of Darkness' boxes by the truckload.
A perusal of a borrowed set of books led me to digging out the White Scars (Yes, those White Scars!) and working then up with a few Heresy conversions and paint scheme.
So far these five Astartes are well on their way, three bikers are about 60% done (they do have bases) and I've managed to procure three 3D printed Jetbikes, Saving about £60 after would factor in the cost of the resin and use of the printer (there are some minor imperfections, but I can live with those for the saving).

The Mad Mek was active adding details to my Orks after the Armageddon game in May. I have a stack of MDF bases to mount my Koptaz and various vehicles onto. I'm hoping to find the time to get some more worked up and finished before we head off again to throw the Greenskins against the Cadians on that besieged world.

A random project has been to assemble this Oldhammer, Rapanse de Lyonesse miniature.
I have always loved the old Bretonnians and am disappointed that they are no longer in production (also that prices are stupid on eBay, but anyway...). 
She was acquired a while ago but sat gathering dust and just wanting a random miniature which wasn't Camo, or Power Armour or RED I assembled her with a mind to start painting, but alas, she's sat unpainted for a while now.
I think I need to lower the banner on her Lance as it seems slightly too high up at the moment.

Another acquisition recently has been this stack of old White Dwarf magazines.
They were sat on the donation table at a local library and after enquiring the staff said that they were "free", and I could have the lot as they'd been there over a month.
A donation made to the library, it would have felt right otherwise, and I walked out with the stack.
There are some great old issues in this lot, a lot of inspiration, as well as a lot of the feel of what we are missing now, I'll cover that in another post.

With all that said, things are still progressing, just at a glacial pace at the moment because of these things:

Another Steel train dispatched, another empty train to stable in the yard, Yadda Yadda Yadda.

Until next time, have nice day...


No comments:

Post a Comment