Sunday 1 November 2020

Marneus Calgar - Issue 1.

 Recently, unless you've been living under a rock you'll have know that Games Workshop have been starting to diversify with their IP.

Warhammer animation is something I am looking forward to if the Trailers are anything to go by.

One collaboration which I didn't see coming though was with Marvel for a 40k comic.


Yes it's about Ultramarines. Yes they are the poster boys of 40k. But let's get past the fact that most of us don't have any interest in Marneus Calgar and realise that this is actually quite good. I was expecting some horrific "woke" (for lack of a better term) explanation of the 41st Millennium and for their to be Talking Animal People in the sodding thing, but Fantasy Flight Games got there first with their RPG systems.

Instead we got that start to a fairly decent (if generic) origin story for one of the most famous Space Marines in the universe.

I like the art, especially this piece:


Although that Chaplain should be up there with him breaking heads, not skulking towards the back.
I'm hoping that they introduce character like Tigurius and Agemman, as they had a fair bit to do with Guilliman returning (Tigurius helping and Agemman trying to hinder) but that's wishful thinking.

I'm not a big comic book fan to be honest, so I won't be collecting all however many parts they release of this. I was just pleasantly surprised to see it produced so well compared to some other media GW has collaborated with through the years.

I'll leave you with one of my favourite pieces of artwork from this, the "coming next" teaser:

Until next time...

 - Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment