Sunday 5 April 2020

Urban Terrain, building commenced.

Along with the Samurai challenge I am taking part in, I have managed to get some time to work on the terrain pieces.

When last I left this topic, I had just been doodling in my notebook and planning things out.

Well no more, my guesstimate bases sizes were way under sized, so the bases have expanded.

The main house is now about 20"*18" overall, this will allow me to build up some rubble around it.


This somewhat gives you a size of it.
The grey area in the middle is some insulation underlay which happened to have a textured side which looked like floorboards. Like you can see I have been adding to the building itself (why do I do these things to myself?).


A couple of views showing the main elements before anything else added, excuse my out of scale hand in the photo's.
I also took the time to hit the buildings with as mixture of black emulsion paint, PVA and sand in order to add some texture to the smooth MDF pieces, I'll add this to all the different buildings I eventually make for this build.

Next I started to add former to the interior, these will for the base for the modelling compound to go on and make the rubble piles:


Insulation polystyrene carved up and glued down. Remember there is a layer of stuff over this, these pieces just mean I am not using more compound then necessary.

Finally I covered the lot in a mixture of black emulsion paint and PVA to add strength and seal the polystyrene.


I've since finished detailing the building to where I won't be able to get at it later, and it's ready to be glued down in place allowing me to start adding the outer formers, fencing, tree stumps, etc.

It's a thing, definitely progress, more to come.

Until next time...


 - Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment