Thursday 30 November 2017

AoS - Defenders of Ancestor's Fyrd, part 2.

The Stormcast Liberators of Prime Galerius.


Aside from Lord Casellant Jaresh, Liberator Prime Galerius and his unit have the distinction of being the longest lived members of The Celestial Legion stationed to Ancestor's Fyrd, having gone fifty years without being reborn in Azyr.

They have defended the town against numerous incursions from hostile forces, earning particular renown against the Black Axe Brayherd.

With more forces being drawn to Acenstor's Fyrd in recent years, the Stormcast have made the decision to move from defence of the walls to active patrols beyond the city limits in an effort to counter potential threats before they can cause a serious danger.




 I have been painting this unit in my (not much) spare time recently. Switching between these and other projects to keep momentum rolling.

Not wanting the traditional "In yo'face" Gold of the standard GW colours, but wanting to try an army of mainly metallic colours, I opted for a Bronze scheme tied with red to keep the colours warm. Additionally, I wanted to try drybrushing as a main technique rather then just for weathering which I have always used it for. I also used a Crimson wash over the basecoat o Screaming Bell, before drybrushing up through bronze colours with a final drybrush of silver. This I feel gives a very rich and warm saturation to the metallic, as opposed to using something like Earthshade which would have given harsher shadows int he armour plates.

I am happy with how the unit turned out, they felt very Romanesque as I was painting them so the idea of the "Legion" was born, I see these guys as being the Sledgehammers to the other Order units Anvils when they are all ready for battle.

As these Stormcast have been based in Ghur for their entire career so far, I decided to convert a few bare heads using Space Wolf spares from the bitz box. These have a more wild look to them and do give the impression of the Liberators starting to "go native" as it were. It also breaks up the endless masks of the force as well.



So with two units for the Defenders, the Chaos forces need some serious bolstering for their side. I may focus on those a little more until the new year, when I have a new project in mind!


Until next time...


 - Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment