Thursday 3 June 2021

Point a Day challenge - a Warmachine army.

 

Since January I've been buying used Warmachine/Hordes miniatures cheaply off of eBay.

I used to play the game way back when it was first released and really enjoyed the setting.
What's not to like with a steampunk/fantasy/pirate/Soviet/robot/beastly setting where nearly anything goes?

Anyway, so after having a clear out and discovering that I had nearly all the first edition books barring the last one, I decided to spend a few pounds and see what I could get ahold of.

Shocked by the prices of new gear (seriously check it out, 13 infantry models are roughly £50...And people complain about GW's pricing!), I quickly turned to eBay. 

There things were somewhat saner, if a little more limited.

Which brings us onto the subject of this post, in the course of buying stuff I also joined a Warmachine painting and modelling group on Facebook which is running a painting challenge each month.

This is called "Point-A-Day" and the aim is to paint up at least as many points of gear as there are days in the month, so 30 points at least for June.

I've cobbled together a force using my favourite faction and a sub-faction in the game.

The Cryx, who are steampunk undead pirates who are led by a dragon who is a god!
The Satyxis are a sub-faction made up of warrior women who were corrupted by the dragons presence causing them to grow horns from their head and develop an affinity to blood magic, kind of like voodoo.

My list of things to paint include this little lot which I have based and primed:


The core of the force:


Skarre Ravenmane, the Pirate Queen.
A Satyxis Blood Hag.
And ten Satyxis Raiders.

They are supported by:


Gorman Di Wolfe, the Rogue Alchemist.
A Warwitch Initiate.
A Slayer Helljack.
Two Deathripper Bonejacks.
And a Defiler Bonejack.

The Helljack and Bonejacks are the main draw for the setting, being steam powered (in this case some form of soulfuel instead of coal) robots which have a basic instinct for fighting. You can also bounce spells off of the Bonejacks to target things you can't reach or even see!

I'm going to use this paint scheme from the Druchii codex for 40k as the colours of the army:


I like the black highlighted with red, and the usual scheme for Cryxian stuff is black and dark metal, contrasted with a vibrant, sickly bright green.
I wanted to do something different with my gear.

If I manage to clear this lot before the end of the month, I've also gotten a Mercenary unit of the Devil Dogs based and primed:


Led by Captain Sam McHorne, these humans are Warjack hunters and will fight for anyone who has coin, apart from Cryx...

I'll do a future post with a rundown of the setting in more detail, but that's it for now.

Until next time...


 - Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment