Sunday 2 August 2020

Workbench update

Onwards time marches, never ceasing.

It appears time has flown since my last post, mainly due to changes in my work shifts which have required adjusting to, going from mainly day work to either extremely early in the morning or extremely late at night finishing has taken a little adjusting, getting used to.

It's not all been work and no hobby, I've managed to finish a few things recently.

A few more Blackstone Fortress models finished up have been the diminutive Rattling twins of Rein and Raus:
These two were brilliant fun to paint, I do regret leaving them this long to be honest.
A quick and dirty fatigues scheme to match in with the Primaris Psyker and Nork Deddog I have already painted up for this set. 
In my mind they were all part of the same Crusading Imperial army before making their own various ways to Precipice and the Blackstone Fortress itself.

The various expansion packs for Blackstone Fortress have offered up some fantastic unique models, which I have been enjoying working on variously.
We haven't played any of them yet, getting about halfway through the main box story before the plague came to the world and we all underwent lockdown.

Even so, I've painted up most of the expansions and the latest one is no exception. 
I present the finish Zoat:
The Zoats are an ancient idea in 40k being brought about during the first edition of the game, Rogue Trader. Then being dropped for quiet some time.
Originally they had ties to the Tyranids, but their background has had an entire overhaul for Blackstone, for the better in my opinion.

The model itself is an interesting, chunky beast. I tried to stay close to the box art, as that's been a main thing of the expansions my friend requested.
The skin is very crocodilian in look, so no need to deviate from the green. His armour is contrast Black Templar applied twice to get a nice deep colour.
The real pain was the various organic mechanisms across the miniature. These are devices which extend the creatures lifespan indefinitely in the lore and are meant to glow with various lights and pulse with blood as they keep the creatures organic systems working.
Starting with a contrast Flesh Tearers base, I gently drybrushed in circular motions, aiming each time more towards the top on the area through KHORNE Red, Mephiston red, Troll Slayer orange and finally Fire Dragon bright.

One thing I noted, is that I should have done that before the black surrounds, as I had to redo the armour segments in that area...lesson learned.


Finally, for 40k proper, the release of 9th edition has seen on of my most favourite forms of gaming expanded massively.
I've never really been one for competitive, cut throat games, Win-At-All-Costs and tournament play has never interested me at all.

The crafting of a good story, my own piece of the 40k universe has been my most favoured type of game. I've been known to throw games by making these "lore related" decisions in the past, simply by playing my army to the character given in the lore.

The Crusade campaign system gives us the opportunity to craft an ongoing story for San army, even as we build it up from 50 power level up to whatever end point we wish to carry on until.

Brilliant stuff, so I've started crafting together a Crusade Force.

"A good Imperial fortress stands firm upon solid foundations. It never gives, never yields, never falls. Strive always to embody that fortress,, brothers." - Captain Lydorian, Imperial Fists Chapter.

I have chosen the Battle Brothers of the Imperial Fists 5th company, their background is awesome but also in all my years of hobbying, I've never painted a yellow army!

Time to rectify that and challenge myself with a paint scheme I've never attempted.

Here we go so far:
Two small five man units completed, one of Intercessors and one of Hellblasters.

The Intercessors a bit closer:

And now the Hellblasters:

I found a tutorial for painting yellow using contrast Iyanden Yellow and Cassandora Yellow Shades which has worked well, and is easier to achieve then I imagined.
The limited palette of the fifth companies black and yellow scheme works really well, along with the odd spot colour, red for the sergeant's helmet's for example draws the eye into the miniature more I find.
Speaking of helmet's for sergeant's, I am considering going back to the Hellblaster sergeant and adding a helmet mag-locked to his belt as he dosen't have one as yet.

For Crusade you begin with a force totalling fifty power level, here is my beginning list which I am working towards:
I figure I'll keep that last power level in reserve, so I can take a more varied selection of units, rather then slavishly spend it to begin with.
But a core of two units of ten Intercessors, some supporting firepower from the Aggressors and Hellblasters should be a good starting point.
The Librarian and Captain can't alternate leading the force as and when.
And the Reivers? Well I've never used them before and have the models, so I figured "why not?".

I'm looking forwards to getting going with this and seeing where their story leads...

Honour and Glory? Or Death and Shame?

We'll find out hopefully.


Until next time...


 - Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment